6 reasons why you should hire a professional makeup artist. Tips from professional makeup artist Nor
Here is another installment of "Why you should hire a professional makeup artist for your wedding day". Today I am sharing with you advice from Charlotte makeup artist Norelle Baker. Here is an interview I did with Norelle as well as her advice about why hiring a professional makeup artist is so important!
(all photos are shot by me and examples of Norelle's work)
Nina - How did you get started as a makeup artist?
Norelle - This journey for me started as a young girl. As a child, you would find me painting, drawing, coloring, crafting, etc.. Art and beauty have always fascinated me.The power of creativity is beautiful. I loved watching my Mom "put on her face", do her hair and dress up for the day. As long as I can remember I was playing in her makeup. Playing with colors, trying things on and playing dress up. As soon as I received a green light to wear makeup, the passion grew more. I was involved in dance and theater for a good part of my life, so dressing up became second nature to me. It was so fun! In college I was always experimenting with makeup looks on myself and others. I was determined to get my first makeup job, and at 20 years old, with a little faith and determination, that happened. I was hooked and never looked back. I will never forget the first day a woman told me how beautiful she felt, thanks to me. WOW! The smile she had was priceless. I realized that this was my calling in life. I still get this same feeling today, a decade later, with every woman who sits in my chair. Along this BEAUTIFILLED journey, I went to cosmetology school, received wonderful training, got my hands wet in some high fashion and print work, worked alongside some amazingly talented folks and fell completely in LOVE with Brides! I love all forms of beauty work, but I do consider bridal work my true passion. I admire the work of so many talented people, some of who I know, some I hope to know. I use a wide variety of professional products and I am well versed in skincare, as well as traditional and airbrush makeup applications.
Nina - In your professional opinion why do you feel strongly that a bride shouldn't skip hiring a professional makeup artist for their wedding day?
Norelle - Here are my top 6 reasons why!
1. Doing your own makeup well on a daily basis is not the same as doing your makeup on your wedding day. Hiring a professional who understands color, tone, shape and uses professional products is going to make all the difference in how you look.
2. Your pictures will look 100x better when you hire a professional. When you hire a makeup artist who understands your style and vision for your look, everything will jive!
3. A professional knows the latest trends and techniques when it comes to hair and makeup. You may watch a lot of YouTube, but recreating those looks is not always as easy as it seems. Let a pro help!
4. Makeup Artist and Hair Stylist often work with many other like minded wedding vendors. If I refer another wedding vendor, I assure you they are excellent at what they do.
5. If you are going to invest in "the dress" and "the photographer", make sure you invest in "the people" who are going to make you look your best!
6. Last but not least..If you think its expensive to hire professional, wait till you see how expensive it is if you hire amateur!
Nina Bashaw is a fine art portrait and wedding photographer serving Columbia, Charleston, Greenville, Charlotte, NC Augusta, Ga, Nashville, TN surrounding areas and worldwide destination weddings and elopements.